Sunday, November 19, 2006

Proof that new Rock City barns get painted

By now, you can tell that many of the older Rock City barns, have been abandoned, or simply not repainted. However, on occasion, the barn painters find a new barn to paint, and have a new message, as well. I am not aware of any other Rock City barns with just this message, however a small number of barns have been repainted with the www.seerockcity.com message added.

Proof that New Rock City barns get painted.


www.
SeeRockCity
.com


I'll admit that I am not fully happy with this photo, as it was completely cloudy that morning. I did something that I usually don't do much, and that is to tinker with the photo. Most of my basic image editing can be done in Picasa or MS Paint (don't laugh!), but on this one, I tried my best with Gimp and Photomatix (This is an HDR.) I really wanted the red of the horse trailer and the green of the grass to stand out. As an alternate, I also tried the same photo with giving it an "old timey" feel, and I'm torn between which version I like better.

www.seerockcity.com

In this version, I really upped the brightness, because I think that makes the paint job look fresh. In the first photo, you can tell where some of the paint has started to wear off, especially on the Y. Most vintage Rock City barn photos in the 40's show the barn just after it was painted. Clark Byers would take a photo of his freshly painted barn and send it to the Carter's, original owners of Rock City, as proof of the job. I also enjoy the irony, since this fake vintage feel would be an anachronism.

In case you were wondering, the small square sign next to the barn says, "FOR SALE QUARTER HORSES".

There's more. This same barn has the modern Rock City logo on the other end.

Side of the www.seerockcity.com barn

Here is a closeup of that logo:

New Rock City logo on SeeROCKCITY.COM barn

This barn is in Dade County, Georgia, and the upper ridge of trees in the background of the first photo is lookout mountain. (that same ridge of trees has disappeared from the sepia photo because it was brightened.) This barn is in an unusual place, however. Highway U.S. 11 is the prominent street through the area, although there are stretches of the original "Old Birmingham Highway." In the small area of Wildwood, GA, just north of Trenton, is a turn off the Old highway, named Pope Creek Trail. Some maps may label this as County Road 111, but I saw no such designation while there.

This is too new for the Jenkins Book.
On OhioBarns.com, this has the designation of #RCB 10-41-01.
See it on a map, HERE.
Lat & Lon: 34.947913 oN \ -85.416158 oW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home