Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Has anyone ever painted Rock City on their own barn?

C ould someone who wanted a Rock City barn paint one of their own? North of Nashville, I believe I have found such a barn, located on a farm full of Nostalgia. This is what I believe to be a "Home-Made" Rock City barn:


Click photo to Enlarge

There are several clues that this is not a "sanctioned" Rock City barn. (I don't think the Rock City people would mind the free advertising, but I don't think this was painted by their guys.) While most of their barns do say "SEE ROCK CITY", the big block lettering of this one just does not look like any of the other barns. It does look just like the style of one of their birdhouses, however. Also, the placement of this barn makes it an unlikely candidate to be officially painted. The Rock City guys find barns that are close to the highway, near the line of sight while driving. (one you would easily see while driving.) This one was up a hill, behind trees and about 400 feet from the street. Tennessee Highway 78 between Springfield and White House might not be well traveled enough by vacationers to be worthy of Rock City's advertising budget.

Many owners of Rock City barns do not want to sell their barns. Whether it reminds them of their past, or it makes them local celebrities in their hometown, they often do what they can to hold on to their barn. If you can't buy one, I suppose the next best thing to do would be to paint one of your own. If I ever have land with a barn. I suppose I will be buying some quality paint.

To photograph this barn, there was no margin in the street, and I pulled the car into the entrance of the owner's gravel driveway. From there, I could see several vintage advertisements: soft drink signs, metal Gas Station signs, and a row of Burma shave wooden signs. I also saw a building on the property with a sign saying "Antique Store."

These people would probably sell something I would want. I pulled the car up to the building and the property owner came up to my car asking if I needed help. I was informed that it's not an actual Antique store, they just have a sign for an antique store. I apologized for bothering them, but I do admit they have good taste in collectibles.

Burma Shave Signs

If you've never seen it, the classic Burma Shave advertising signs from the 1930's consisted of 6 signs places in a row along the highway. The first 5 usually formed a sentence with the last showing the Burma Shave logo, all of which have white on dark red colors. If you could see them all, this set would say: "EVERY SECOND" "WITHOUT FAIL" "SOME STORE" "RINGS UP" "ANOTHER SALE" "BurmaShave"

On OhioBarns.com, this is #RCB 42-74-02.
See it on a map HERE.
Lat & Lon: 36.476636o N / -86.707578o W

4 Comments:

Anonymous catherine yronwode said...

We are in the process of painting our barn, in Forestville, California, as a ROCK CITY barn. The primer coat is on, lettering to follow. Our property already hosts the World's Smallest Church, a vintage-style occult goods shop and drug store, and a functioning railroad crossing (no railroad, though). I've lived here 22 years and dreamed of the day i could make my barn into a ROCK CITY barn -- and now the time has come. I'll post pictures at my site as soon as it's finished.

2:12 AM, September 01, 2009  
Blogger BrentKMoore said...

Sounds fun. It also is probably easier to paint one than to buy one that's for sale. I'd like to see your pictures when it's done. :)

5:29 PM, September 06, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

3:24 AM, November 22, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such stories. I love to read stories like this. BTW add more pics :)

11:33 PM, January 22, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home